There is nothing more fun that picking red, juicy strawberries from the local farmers markets and biting into this luscious fruit. They are a great addition to a fruit basket.
Strawberries are commonly found to provide flavour to juices, jams, ice creams and puddings. But there are a number of interesting facts you did not know about this delicious fruit:
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in spring.
- Strawberries are unique for being the only kind of fruit to wear its seeds on the outside. In fact, a single strawberry features over 200 seeds on the exterior.
- Strawberries are not true berries. Since they wear their seeds on the exterior, they are classified as separate fruits.
- Strawberries are part of the Rose family. They have the same sweet smelling quality.
- Strawberries are perennials. This means it will grow year after year though it will be bear fruit only for five years.
- Americans consume around five pounds of fresh and frozen strawberries on an average, every year. It ranks as the most favourite fruits of kids.
- In Belgium, there is a museum dedicated to strawberries which features items like strawberry beer and strawberry jam.
- In ancient Rome, strawberries were regarded to have medicinal powers. They were a cure for kidney stones, fainting, fever, bad breath, sore throat and depression.
- Strawberries have been found to reduce risk of cancers and heart disease. Having low calories, they are rich in Vitamin K, C, B6, amino acids, folic acid and potassium.
- They have high nitrate content. This helps enhance blood and oxygen flow to muscles of the body. They make for excellent healthy fruit gifts.
- The bulk (80%) of strawberries in U.S. is produced in California. But they are also grown in every state and also throughout Canada.
- If one lays all the strawberries produced yearly in California side by side, it would go around the earth 15 times.
- Unripe and green strawberries are good for pickling.
- Eight strawberries can provide around 140% of daily requirement of Vitamin C.
- Pregnant women can consume strawberries for lower risk of birth defects in their children.
- Strawberries are the fruits with the highest anti-oxidant value, which helps prevent eye degeneration and cataracts.
- Strawberries were introduced to the colonist by Native American Indians. They were combined with cornmeal and baked into bread. This was the fore-runner of strawberry short cake.
- Roughly during the Wimbledon championships, around 27,000 kilos of strawberries are consumed with 7000 litres of cream.
- A bowl of 100 gm of strawberries will provide only 50 calories which means an amazing 0 gm of fat.
- Strawberries also help enhance the beauty of your smiles. The acids in its help to whiten teeth and remove stains.
- They contain ellagic acid, which helps fight cancer.
- The red colour indicates presence of flavonoids. They help reduce the impact of cholesterol from clogging the arteries of the heart.
- They can also be yellow or white and even taste like pineapples.
- For a variation, instead of cream, sprinkle some pepper on the strawberries.
These are some interesting facts about strawberries.